The primary goal of Delta3D is to provide a single, flexible API with the basic elements needed by all visualization applications. In addition to the underlying components, Delta3D provides a variety of tools such as the Simulation, Training, and Game Editor (STAGE), the BSP Compiler, the particle editor, a stand-alone model viewer, and a HLA Stealth Viewer. Further, Delta3D has an extensive architectural suite that is integrated throughout the engine. This suite includes frameworks such as the Application Base Classes (ABC) for getting started; the Dynamic Actor Layer (DAL) for Actor Proxies and Properties; signal/slot support for direct method linking; the Game Manager (GM) for actor management; pluggable terrain tools for reading, rendering, and decorating terrain; and high-level messaging for actor communication.
Contains all the common base functionality
- Input device mapping (Keyboard, Mouse, Joystick, Trackers)
- Motion models (Fly, UFO, Walk, Orbit, First Person)
- Environment rendering (clouds, haze, skyboxes, time of day)
- Particle System Effects (Smoke, Explosion, Custom)
- Terrain Rendering (Infinite Procedural terrain, Heightfield-based terrain)
- File loading
- .3dc, .3ds, .ac, .dw, .flt, .geo, .ive, .logo, .lwo, .lws, .md2, .obj, .osg, .tgz, .x, .zip
- .bmp, .dds, .gif, .jpg, .pic, .png, .pnm, .rgb, .tga, .tiff, .txp
- Camera controls (Field of View, Tripod)
- Multiple camera support
- Multiple window support
- Physics (Rigid Body, Collision Detection, Auto-bounding shapes)
- Open GL Lighting
- Bezier path nodes
- Full OpenGL support
- GLSL Vertex and Fragment Shaders
High-level Application Base Components. Useful for some application development.
- Application template
- Weather interface (visibility, cloud coverage)
- Widget class to ease intergration with other window toolkits
Interface to HLA networking. Integrates internal components with user-supplied RTI.
- Coordinate system conversion
- Detonation interface
- HLA entity interface
dtTerrain Provides a framework for implementing terrain loading, rendering, and decorating. Pluggable architecture for renderers, reader, and decorators
- Paged terrain tiles, image utilities, and noise generation
- DTED reader
- SOARX renderer with continuous level of detail
- Procedural vegetation placement – land cover classification (LCC) support
- Image overlay decorator – GEOTIFF support
The Dynamic Actor Layer provides a generic infrastructure for creating, accessing, and manipulating Actors.
- Actor proxy and actor property architecture
- Library management (Actor Registries)
- Project and map loading (XML)
- Actor property types: Sound, Terrain, Character, Texture, Static Mesh, Particle System, Enumeration, Actor, Color, Vec2/3/4, String, Int, Double, and more
- Base engine actor proxies
dtGUI Direct interface with Crazy Eddie’s GUI.
- UI Drawable and renderer
- Extensisble skinning interface
- Default GUI art
Provides a complete architecture for building complex games and training applications. The Game Manager (GM) is a high-level infrastructure for communicating between actors and components whether locally or in a client-server environment.
- Game Actor and Proxy
- GM Component architecture with plugin support - default message processor, rules component, and logger component
- Message infrastructure – message and parameter factories
- Network agnostic – support for single client, client/server, and playback
- Message streaming for sending, receiving, and recording messages
- Base client and server game managers
Basic utility objects used throughout Delta3D.
- File logging and Xerces XML utilities
- Texture, noise, matrix, and string utilities
- Library Management
- Type safe enumerations
Provides high-level functionality for audio playback.
- 2D/3D sounds
- Full control of sounds (gain, pitch, position, play, stop, pause, rewind, etc.)
- Doppler effect
- Efficient use of audio hardware
Provides high-level API for use with multiplayer networking.
- Server/Client architecture
- Reliable/unreliable packet transmition
Provides access to the API though a Python scripting interface.
- Full API access
STAGE – Simulation, Training, and Game Editor
A complete visual editor for building your 3D maps. STAGE
- Map editing – project resource and library management
- Visually create and manipulate actors
- Property editor and actor linking with undo/redo
- Split screen viewports – Perspective plus top, side, side orthographic views
- Wireframe, lighting, and textured modes
- Reconfigurable user interface with undo/redo
- Actor searching and global actor management
- Texture, mesh, sound, and particle browsers
Delta3D provides an extensive suite of example applications and unit tests to get you started.
- Example test applications covering almost aspect of Delta3D
- Over 22,000 lines of unit tests
Can be used on many different compilers and operating systems.
- Uses CMake to create make files and project/solution settings
- Graphical Particle Effect Editor - Provides a convenient GUI and display for editing Particle Effects.
- 3D Model Viewer - An easy-to-use, standalone Viewer to preview 3D models.