delta3d

Forum Index >  > Artists' Studio New Topic Post Reply
 Exporting animations from 3ds Max

r0b
 07/16/2010 06:55AM (Read 1702 times)  
+++++

Hi,

I noticed that my key-frame-animations are not exported (as AnimationPaths) from 3ds max if the scene contains any osg-helper-nodes...

Is this a limitation?

thanks much
rob

Profile Email
crodgers
 07/19/2010 03:35PM  
AAAAA
Admin

Hi Rob,

I have not tried exporting a character with a OSG helper in the scene, but I am pretty sure this is a limitation. The WorldViz CAL3D exporter does not appear to have a concept of OSG nodes--just outputs CAL3D data.

Hopefully the new version of OSG has decent character animation support that can replace our CAL3D dependency. It would be great to just maintain one exporter that can handle everything. However, the new OSG will not be available in Delta3D until the next version of OSG is released, 2.10 or 3.0 (whatever version number they decide on).

What helper nodes do you need and for what purpose?

I know that objects can be attached to characters at runtime. If you simply need a point, you can hunt down the specific bone by name that marks the spot. The Human Actor in SimCore should have this code, if you need to see it.

Hope this helps out a bit. Talk to you soon Rob!

Chris

Profile Email
r0b
 07/20/2010 07:35AM  
+++++

Hi Chris,

thanks for the reply! But I was talking about "non-character" animations, like (in my case) a bouncing billboard.
So if I do a simple move-up&down-animaiton on a textured-plane w/o the billboard-helper the animations exports fine. But when I insert the billboard, assign the plane to it and do the movmeent either on the helper or the plane the animation isn't exported anymore...

Hopefully the new version of OSG has decent character animation support that can replace our CAL3D dependency. It would be great to just maintain one exporter that can handle everything. However, the new OSG will not be available in Delta3D until the next version of OSG is released, 2.10 or 3.0 (whatever version number they decide on).

I'm glad to hear that! osgAnimation and the fbx-support sound promising!

thanks
rob

Profile Email
crodgers
 07/20/2010 01:47PM  
AAAAA
Admin

I see what you mean. This is a bug for sure. However, I am not certain if it ever worked or if it broke after our modifications to the exporter. The billboard node assignment seems to be a bug too.

It may take some time but I will try and hunt the bugs down and fix them. It's just a matter of getting the project time and deciphering the code again

Please let me know if you find anything else regarding this. Thanks Rob!

Chris

Profile Email
r0b
 07/21/2010 05:57AM  
+++++

Quote by crodgers:The billboard node assignment seems to be a bug too.

sorry for the confusion, but the billboard works fine except the animation-export (that is the problem for all osg-helper-nodes like groups etc)

thanks for looking into the code
rob

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.21 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

Normal Topic Normal Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

User Functions

Don't have an account yet? Sign up as a New User

Lost your password?

Get Started

Why not start working with the open source Delta3D engine today?

Download delta3d and go through the Tutorials now.

Features

delta3d's modular design integrates other well-known Open Source projects such as Open Scene Graph(OSG), Open Dynamics Engine(ODE), Character Animation Library (CAL3D), and OpenAL, integrating them in an easy-to-use API. MORE

About delta3d

delta3d is a game and simulation engine appropriate for a wide variety of modeling & simulation applications. MORE

Events

There are no upcoming events